While we were busy dealing with our trivial issues, somewhere few communities were brainstorming about sudden changes of their ecosystem! I was able to lay hands on few of the meeting agendas! Continue reading
“Rivet” was a simple solution by Adolf Hitler for reducing weight of his ships to carry more men and ammunition during World War! Similarly, T-shirt was designed by “The Copper Underwear Company” targeting Bachelors, since inherent problem with shirts was ripping of buttons and stitching & sewing was considered work of fairer sex! These are just two examples of innovations done by us, to simplify our lives! I am sure there are numerous such examples!
T-shirts or rivets were designed to help just a few people and still had such a huge impact going forward! However, Covid-19 has impacted not just an organization, community or country, but entire world! Along with battling the virus, people around the globe are trying their best to function even when their entire social and professional ecosystems have gone for a toss! This pandemic has catalyzed innovation processes by organizations as well as individuals!
Some of these changes might be temporary; however few of them will change in entirety the way we have been living (not just working)! Although it’s difficult to make an exhaustive list of such changes, but few of them are mentioned below!
- Work from Home: It is one of the biggest changes which most of the organizations have adapted to! Although, WFH is not a new concept, but this maybe the first time that it has been implemented on such huge scale! Earlier, WFH was offered as one of the employee benefits by few organizations; however, lockdown has forced most of the organizations to offer WFH and that too for a considerable length of time! This lockdown period is practically an experiment or test run for organizations which were earlier hesitant in offering WFH! It might even prove economical for quite a lot of them! Presently, organizations spend a fortune in developing and maintaining a “comfortable” working space. If Work from Home doesn’t prove detrimental to organizations, then over a period of time, various infrastructure costs can be reduced significantly if not eliminated!
- Increased Automation: Although this change is yet to happen, but increased automation might be a reaction to this pandemic. Outbreak of Covid-19 has highlighted one key risk that most of the manufacturing units are exposed to! Although, industrialization set foot in India long back, but still there is a lot of human intervention in manufacturing processes! It’s well understood that the probability of occurrence of such lockdowns is low, but the impact is severe! Till now the trend was to automate bottlenecks in the process flow, however, this lockdown has highlighted a need for end to end automation and it has potential to trigger Industrial Revolution 2.0!
- Increased faith on Domestic Brands: Exports and imports all over the world have declined significantly. However, various domestic organizations have stepped forward to cater to various requirements of central and state governments. Be it development of ventilators, PPEs, or medicines, or extension of healthcare facilities; domestic companies have contributed in all possible ways. Along with showcasing of abilities of indigenous organizations; this pandemic has also built a significant amount of goodwill of local government and citizens for these organizations, which might prove useful in post Corona period.
- Lower Pollution: Delhi NCR has been suffering from air pollution since long. Average AQI which never came below 300 is now in double digits! Yamuna river is looking much cleaner these days! Similar trends can be observed all over the World! Undoubtedly, manufacturing units can’t shut their operations permanently, but isn’t it very much evident that maybe pollution control norms were not being complied in full spirit? Also, we can safely say that Mother Nature doesn’t always take decades to heal herself. Hence, if certain emission norms are strictly complied, we can witness significant decline in pollution levels even after industries resume operations.
- Hygiene Habits: The fear of corona has made a lot of people extra cautious towards their personal hygiene! People are washing their hands more frequently and diligently. All goods and supplies coming from outside are being cleaned and washed before using. People, who still have to go out, take a shower as soon as they return home! With time, if not all, most of these things will become a habit for lot of people which will indirectly help in reducing hygiene related health problems!
- Healthy Living: Since there is no cure for Covid-19, only thing which will help people in saving themselves is their immune system. As a result, people have increased intake of healthy food! Yes, there is a temporary restriction on going out, but more and more people are trying to establish a routine of workout even at Home! And who doesn’t know benefits of overall healthy lifestyle!
- Emotional Bonding: Before outbreak of this pandemic, the trend being followed was Social Bonding and Emotional Distancing, however now it has changed to Emotional Bonding and Social Distancing! With sudden abundance of time, number of voice and video calls has increased significantly; conversations among the family members have increased! Absence of domestic help, has brought all family members together as a team for completing daily household chores! Social media is now full with people sharing screenshots of their phones with multiple people in conference! People have rediscovered happiness in something they have ignored since long! I believe, maybe people will remember this happiness and will pay more attention to staying in touch!
- Hobbies: A sudden change in daily routine is capable of inflicting a lot of stress! And people are exploring various methods of dealing with such stress! Initially most of the people resorted to “Binge Watching” of some of their favorite shows or movies, but slowly they realized that sitting in front of a TV was not doing them any good and people started exploring other avenues to invest their time! A sudden splurge in views of Youtube videos teaching to play some instrument or various cookery blogs is proof of the same! Although it was boredom which forced people, but still, people finally are taking out time for hobbies they always wanted to pursue!
- Redefinition of Basic Necessity: As Yuval Noah Harari in his book “Sapiens: A brief History of Humankind” said, “One of history’s few iron laws is that luxuries tend to become necessities and to spawn new obligations. Once people get used to a certain luxury, they take it for granted. Then they begin to count on it. Finally they reach a point where they can’t live without it”. Basic necessities are like amoeba which, over the period of time, engulfs various luxuries! However, sudden imposition of lockdown has ripped out lot of such luxuries and made people realize what their actual basic necessities are! It’s not even a month and people are already pleasantly surprised by their Credit Card Bills! Obviously people love wining and dining, or shopping and parties, and these things will resume; but atleast for some time they will be looked upon as luxuries and not necessities!
As 21-90 rule states, it takes a commitment of 21 days for us to make a habit and 90 days to accept it as our lifestyle; so, let us see what sort of habits, lifestyles and innovations we emerge with as we overcome this Corona crisis!
“Survival of the fittest”
“Tough times don’t last, tough people do”
These quotes highlight the importance of physical, mental and emotional strength for individuals. But, the same applies, not just to individuals, but also to entire societies or nations as well. The same is quite evident right now, at a time when all the nations across the World are trying to survive Covid-19! Continue reading
Travelling alone from Jabalpur to Rajkot, which is 28 hour ride by train, and that too when your ticket is under RAC (you only have half of the seat) definitely leaves you with a lot of time!
And so, I was fully prepared to confront those 28 hours…I had a phone with two seasons of Lost, 3 movies, more than 1000 unsolved Kakuro and Sudoku puzzles, a fully charged 13000 mAh power bank, a charger, and quite a lot of songs, and of course a book on Sociology, which I knew I might not even open! And of course I planned on spending some quality time on whatsapp as it’s been long since I had a chat with many of my friends!
As the train started rolling, I arranged Continue reading
Today…it was the third time…I streamed the documentary to see it…and then I did the same mistake again… I somehow recalled all the news about it…I recalled all the details I read about things that were done to her… and “thought” about the agony she might have faced in reality!!!
What is religion?
“Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe”
That’s a basic definition of religion! Religion is something that serves as a door to spirituality…to gain greater understanding of universe which gives the believer a sense of inner peace. Continue reading
In past few days, I have been really happy about one thing done by Indian Government; and that is hanging of Kasab and Afzal Guru. This news somehow made me feel really happy, that at last the terrorists are being punished…the terrorists who have been responsible for bringing pain to hundreds or even thousands of families!!
I have always been of the opinion that why should we be “humane” with such inhumane people…they should be killed at the earliest possible, rather than keeping them in the jails and waiting for some plane to be hijacked! But knowing about the unrest in Kashmir, because of Guru’s hanging really enraged me, thinking how can people, of my own country agonize for the slaying of a terrorist, how can they call him a martyr…a freedom fighter!!!!?? And I was like What Freedom!!?? It’s a free country!! Everyone in Kashmir is as free as everyone in any other part of the country!!
Various top economists and bankers in India have been saying that the key to overall and robust economic development lies in development of nation as a whole rather than a limited segment of people. All are talking about financial inclusion! But I guess, something more important at this time would be social inclusion! After all, economy is just like a mega structure, which might be easily shattered if the social foundation is not strong enough!! Continue reading